Wednesday, June 15, 2011

More reflection on placement

Today was very straightforward, with lots of time spent standing behind the counter with a husky voice and a knife...

Let me explain! I caught a cold over the weekend, and last night 'lost' my voice, so talking today was very difficult, and perhaps entertaining. The knife was for creative purposes - I was making wintry trees to go with the snowflakes, and finally managed to get the library's junior school classroom decorated. It took me so much time, and has made me think about how I would decorate if I was working in a library on my own (as I will be soon) with limited time; I am guessing I will have longer days than I have been having, and I will have to think more carefully about decorations that can be created by students at lunchtime (the snowflakes would work, the trees would not be ideal). The other thing it has made me think about is what I will be able to do on a tighter budget. I really do not know how much money I will have to spend, but I know I will need to carefully work out my priorities.


cc licensed ( BY NC SD ) flickr photo shared by sant.o

As the decorating took all day, the only other things I got to do were some returns, putting some texts away, and printing and applying some spine labels (which it was good to review). I am glad I got to decorate, and I feel like I've contributed to the library and learned from the experience, but I do hope that I can focus on the processes I will need at a TL in the three days I have left. I have a day off tomorrow, working at my other job, and when I return to the library on Friday it will be to Oliver, not Alice. I am very interested to see how that system works, and how the library staff are coping with it considering they haven't had any training and will just be working from the manuals.

Once again, I had a great day and am feeling relaxed overall, and excited about the future. Also, a little sad that my placement is nearly over already...

No comments:

Post a Comment