Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wrapping my head around Abridged WebDewey some more

Exercise 5: Preference order

Select appropriate numbers for the following topics:

1. Behaviour of poisonous animals
590 I worked out from the summary. Then I was not sure (suspected "Specific topics in natural history"), so I looked up poinsonous animals in WebDewey, searching the Relative Index. It came up with "Miscellaneous nontaxonomic kinds of animals" under the heading I suspected. 591.6. It says that standard subdivisions can be added as to 591, but I'm not sure how to do that yet... Whoops, I also need to look up animal behaviour before I make my decision. 591.5 looks at behaviour. Common number is 591. Looking at 591 it says... Behaviour is first in the table of preference. Therefore the class for a text about behaviour of poisonous animals would be 591.5.

2. A bibliography of works written and published in Russia by Jewish authors (013 or
015?)
This has changed I think, because I looked up 015 and the note said: "Class bibliographies and catalogs of works of specific kinds of persons resident in specific places in 011.8 ." and when I went to that link, it said "Class here general catalogs of works by specific kinds of authors [formerly 013 ], general bibliographies of works by minorities". Oh of course it's changed, it said that in the module... So 0.118 is the correct category. 

3. Punishment for murder.
Used summaries to find 345 Criminal Law.
Browsed for "murder" in the Relative Index. Homicide 364.152

Browsed for "punishment" in the Relative Index. "Punishment (Law)"led to 345 Criminal Law which said Including criminal jurisdictions, ... punishment". Therefore 345 would be the category? 
Nope, not even close. Apparently "penology" is the category for punishment. Penology is 364.6. The answer says there is a preference table at... OH, I FOUND IT! "A table of preference turns up under 364, the place we have learned to check first." I guess I've learned that now! The table of preferences are at the base numbers... Go back to the number they have in common to find it. The table of pref says that penology comes before criminal offences, so 364.6 is the correct category!

And that is that for that exercise... and Chapter 8. Onto Chapter 9 I go... :)

Reference: Davis, S., & New, G. (1997). DDC 13 Workbook: a practical introduction to the
abridged Dewey Classification. (pp.1-75). Wagga Wagga, NSW :
Centre for Information Studies.



No comments:

Post a Comment