Sunday, September 25, 2011

LCC vs DDC

I briefly had a look at the Library of Congress Classification system (rushing now, as it it time to go cook dinner, and also because I have SO much to do and so little time in regards to study, and I know I need to get to the important (assignment-related) stuff...

LCC starts with the letters of the alphabet - so 26 initial classifications as opposed to 10. It then divides these using letters, before dividing further with numbers. This does not feel as natural to me, mixing the two types of notations, but it does give a wider range of options (which could mean more hospitatlity than DDC?). The sections themselves are obviously different too. With E and F devoted to American history, the LCC has a definite U.S. feel about it. I find the LCC sections a little clearer about their content - though this is not surprising, as with more classficiations to work with, it can be more specific.

I will leave it at that for now - LCC is not the focus, and in not used in schools. I think if I had to learn to use it one day I could manage pretty well; but for now the focus the Dewey Decimal System. I am sure I am going to learn lots about it very soon!

Chief reference: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment