Tuesday, September 6, 2011

ScOT or SCISSHL?

After completing 5.10 of Module 5, I have an understanding of what ScOT and SCISSHL are, but I'm not sure I feel any closer to knowing which one is going to last us in the long term. ScOT terms seem to be more simple than SCISSHL ones, and that makes me suspect that it is more likely to be the long term option - people tend to like simplicity. But I am not sure that that is the best way to go. Simplicity feels like the best option in regards to a search, as I am worried some of the SCISSHL subject headings might not come up when someone does a search, particularly someone who does not have a good understanding of them, but then the ScOT ones often feel like they are too broad, they do not give a good idea of what the item is about, and perhaps too many items would come up when you want to do a more narrow search.

I am undecided, and I would say still a little too ignorant to make the decision anyway - but I am interested to see what happens in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment