Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thesauri

Activity

Investigate a thesaurus. You can find many online. An excellent starting point is ANZSI - Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers' (ANZSI) Indexing Resources.

Perhaps my favourite online thesaurus, and one you might like to investigate, is The Cook’s Thesaurus complete with illustrations.

I looked at this cooking thesaurus. It's quite good actually, I recommend it if you ever have a question about ingredients. I looked up eggplants for example (though I called it an aubergine just to test whether the thesaurus would refer me to the preferred term), and learned some useful information about male and female eggplants!

* Does the thesaurus you have investigated have a clear hierarchical structure? Or are the terms grouped in non-hierarchical categories?
This thesaurus has a hierarchical structure, with categories within categories.
* Does the thesaurus have scope notes, or definitions, of terms?
It has definitions of terms, or advice on the use of them, and has pictures of many terms as well.
* If you search for a term that is not a preferred term, are you referred to the correct term?
Yes, you are. I searched for 'aubergine' and was referred to 'eggplant', searched for 'capsicum' and was referred to 'bell pepper' (so guessing it's an American site?).

No comments:

Post a Comment