Sunday, August 21, 2011

An activity for Module 5

Activity

Visit Metadata and use the find facility in your web browser (e.g., in Internet Explorer use Ctrl+F) to search on the word Warwick. The result from this search lead you to three kinds of occurrences of the word Warwick.

*
What are they?
"Warwick Framework": a model for handling metadata; "Warwick University"; "Paper given by Dr. Warwick Cathro".
*
Were the results of this search very precise?
They were precise in that they found the word "Warwick", but they had no concept of meaning, so if I were looking for this word within a particular context it may have been an issue.

You might also like to use the find facility to search on other web pages which contain a lot of text, and identify the kinds of issues which arise.

I went to heyjude.wordpress.com and did a search for the word "Google". It came up with "Google" in all sorts of contexts (Google+, Google search engine, Google Scholar...). Then I got distracted reading all the interesting things about Google and had to make sure I had Google Scholar set up properly... I think I get the idea about the search function and the idea of a full-text search. It's a handy thing, but if it's a common word in a large document/web page then it could be more trouble than it's worth. I wonder what we can do to make it more specific...?

No comments:

Post a Comment