Friday, August 5, 2011

Library challenges

I am not sure if I have mentioned in a previous post, but I have recently started working two days a week in the library of a small school (approx 85 students, four classes). I am learning a lot very quickly, and there are plenty of things I want to change if I can only find the time to do so, and can prevent my day from disappearing with me on the phone to IT with OASIS problems...

My big question at the moment is to do with overdue books. Nearly every student has overdue books. The students of this school are not keen readers, nor keen borrowers in a lot of cases. Many avoid the library at all costs. I am not sure what I should do to encourage them to borrow, and increase the amount of borrowers, but to encourage them to return and respect the books they borrow/have borrowed at the same time.

I am thinking that I will turn it into a bit of a class competition, counting how many borrow each week and displaying the results. I am wondering whether to allow students to borrow but only count that in the tally if they have returned all their overdue books, or to not allow them to borrow at all if they have overdue items.

I will try to decide and get it organised in the next couple of weeks - let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment