Friday, August 5, 2011

ISBD

ETL505 Topic 4 study task 1

Prepare a description for the textbook (Hider, 2008), using the 8 areas of ISBD.

The 8 areas are:
1. Title and statement of responsibility area
2. Edition area
3. Material (or type of publication) specific details area
4. Publication, distribution, etc. area
5. Physical description area
6. Series area
7. Note area
8. Standard number and terms of availability area.

They are separated by a full stop and a dash (. - )

Here we go...

Organising knowledge in a global society: principles and practices in libraries and information centres / Philip Hider with Ross Harvey. - Revised Edition. - Wagga Wagga : Centre for Information Studies, 2008. -

Ok, I'm not sure what else to add and where, so I'm going to scroll down in my readings and see what it should look like...

And here it is:

Organising knowledge in Australia : principles and practice in libraries and information centres / Ross Harvey. - Wagga Wagga, NSW : Centre for Information Studies, Charles Sturt University-Riverina, 1999. - xiv, 317 p. : ill. ; 25 cm. - Topics in Australasian library and information studies ; 15. - Bibliography. - ISBN 0 949060 86 0.

I have a feeling this is the previous edition. Overall, I didn't do too badly really! I put the year in the right place (indicated by the previous examples we'd been given), spaced the punctuation (mostly) correctly and used the right punctuation. I'm not sure where the "Charles Sturt University-Riverina" part has come from. I didn't put the page numbers in - so they go in the "physical description section", as does whether it is (ill.)ustrated, and how big it is (25 cm.). I am not sure where the 2nd and 3rd last sections have come from/what they mean. ISBN I understand and should have thought about.

I am also not sure about the /s and ;s and when to use them - why have they been chosen for particular roles, what do they mean in this layout. But the module does say not to worry about not getting it right just yet, so I will continue on and see what else I can learn tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment