Monday, March 29, 2010

Doug Johnson's article

This article makes me slightly uncomfortable. It brings up points which I can definitely relate to. I am in love with the written word, and it scares me that I will potentially need to downplay it. I have already come to terms with websites, illustrated information books, graphic novels and comics as being legitimate forms of text that some readers prefer - in fact I suspect many children would read more if they were provided with these rather than a narrow selection of texts - but this article gave me the feeling that I am going to have to equally promote things such as video, audio dialogue and dramatisation as equal to print texts. ]

Don't get me wrong, I like and respect these things, and believe they have a place in schools, I am just not sure I like the idea of them playing a strong role in the library... I know that some children will prefer these things, and perhaps learn better with them, but part of me still feels that they will be missing out if the wonder of curling up to enjoy a good novel, or even comic or information text, is not introduced to them as having an important role. I wonder if reading books is placed alongside engaging with multimedia formats as an equal, whether students will potentially miss out on the joys of reading for enjoyment (and the benefits and learning that occurs through this) because they will be drawn by the colours, sound and movement of the latter.

I wonder if this subject will change my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment