Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A little about myself (in dot point form):

  • As a child I always loved reading. I dreamed of becoming an author, a teacher and a librarian at different stages, and still wish to become all three at some point, perhaps all at the same time.
  • I grew up in country Victoria.
  • I graduated with a Bachelor of Education (Primary) from the University of Melbourne at the end of 2008.
  • The Teacher Librarian at the school in which I had my final placement was inspirational and made me realise that my thoughts of librarianship as a child were not so farfetched. She helped to make me realise that my passion for books and reading could actually make a difference to the reading habits and the lives of my future students.
  • I taught as a CRT (Casual Relief Teacher) in Victoria for the first six months of 2009. Not getting as much work as I needed, I contemplated further study, investigating the Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship) taught through Charles Sturt University. It was not to be. Yet.
  • In the July of 2009 I semi-blindly followed a certain member of the defence force interstate to the Newcastle area of NSW (Well, I put a lot of thought into the decision to move, I was just unprepared regarding employment, and the challenges I would face in trying to get it).
  • After moving here I found out that there was at least a ten year wait for a permanent position. I do not expect to be here that long.
  • After some cafe work, I got a part time job in the local bookshop (fitting really!), and eventually started to pick up some casual teaching, as well as a couple of tutoring sessions.
  • I realised that now was the time for the Masters Degree. I am not working full time (though the inconsistent hours are going to make things challenging), and further study will hopefully increase my chances of getting employment in the future - an important step to take where the defence force is involved.
  • I have made a very poor start to the course, falling behind in the first weeks, but intend to fall into some kind of routine. I hope to gain a great deal from this course, and I look forward to years in the future surrounded by books, and children, making a difference to the lives of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment