Friday, March 12, 2010

Starting to think like a teacher librarian

It appears that the teacher-librarian in me is starting to come out. Today I read an article thinking from the perspective of a TL.

I found an article in the NSW Teachers Federation Journal, Education, discussing the threat to teacher-librarian positions if the Education system goes ahead with 'increased school-based decision-making'. Having come from Victoria where such a structure is already in place, I can see that this does have the potential to impact on what are sometimes seen as non-essential positions - I have spent time in a number of schools where the library is neglected and not used to its full potential. I do not know for sure if the cause of this is the school-based decision-making and budgeting, or if the the situation of the school has made it difficult for a TL to be employed - rural schools for example, with a smaller school population, would have a very specific role for a teacher librarian that would perhaps not be full time - how difficult is it for them to find an appropriate employee? Is it perhaps a better option for them to rely on parents or the mobile library van? But then I have worked in a larger school, based in a large satellite city, which 'could not afford' to employ a teacher librarian.

Reading the article from the perspective of a training teacher-librarian, a few things were of notable interest. I found it really interesting the roles that a TL takes on. It made me even more certain of the extremely important role a Teacher Librarian can play - I am becoming more and more certain that every school can benefit from the employment of a passionate and effective teacher-librarian. We can support teachers, aid with technology, and most importantly of all in my opinion, we can have a real impact on students' passion for books and reading.

The article did cause me to wonder though whether becoming a teacher-librarian is going to increase my chances of getting a job or not. Have I taken this step too soon? Are there going to be positions available to me when I have graduated? If I end up teaching in classrooms for many years to come, will I forget all I have learned about teaching in libraries?

The article made me more confident in the importance of teacher-librarians in schools, but less confident in the fact that I will be able to become one any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment