Sunday, July 31, 2011

Having a go at Metadata

We have been asked to have a go at coming up with what we think are the important data attributes for our textbook and for a given website (i.e. what we think people might use to try to locate it). I have a feeling this may be an interesting exercise - I wonder if what I think now would be different to what I would come up with at the end of this subject...

Firstly, a book (Hider, 2008):
Author
Year of publication
Title
Publisher
Colour of binding (if they remember that it was blue, but cannot remember what it was called)
ISBN
Overview of content
Key/tag words. In this case things like: information organisation, metadata, cataloguing, digital information resources, tagging, Web 2.0, Resource Description and Access, RDA, information retrieval systems, bibliographic description, bibliographic data, subject access, classification, standards, OPACs.

Secondly, a website (Handpress - I am not sure if it is intended that we analyse this page or the one it links to):
URL
Creator (changed from Author)
Title
Date most recently updated
Overview of content
Key/tag words. E.g. handpress, printing, presswork, books...

I am unsure as to whether I have completed this task correctly. I originally collected the actual information and included it with the aspects I had outlined, and I am not convinced that we are not supposed to do that, but at this point I think that will take time and not really teach me anything that I don't already know, so I will leave it as is and move onto the next activity.

Reference

Hider, P (with Harvey, R) 2008, Organising knowledge in a global society, rev. edn. Wagga Wagga, NSW: Centre for Information Studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment