Sunday, July 31, 2011

A rough transcription - my interpretation

For one of our exercises for ETL505 we had to listen to a recording of the metadata librarian of the State Library of QLD. It sounds like she has done an amazing job and works very hard, and she had some interesting things to say about her role - but she was rather difficult for me to understand. Because of this I have tried to write down what she said in the talk. I may not have gotten it all right, so please let me know if this is the case, but I have written down what she said as I understand it (in my own words).

I found one of her papers online and I this made me think maybe some of the words I couldn't understand were 'Dublin Core'... Had a read of the abstract and it gave me a bit more of an idea of what she was talking about:

In her first role she had to do research to decide which was the best outline for metadata standards for the QLD state library. She had to write a paper justifying the use of Dublin Core outlines for web resource description. She created the outline and implementation plan for metadata at the QLD library. She stays informed of trends, monitors development of international standards (including Dublin Core), and Australian and QLD ones. She keeps the website up to date. She revises the metadata guidelines when there are changes, and provides workshops to address these changes. She doesn't decide on the individual terms used for each item, there are people who do that. She also attends conferences, and writes papers and for journals.

Now I need to investigate what Dublin Core is, because I don't think I know yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment