Sunday, July 24, 2011

History of cataloguing

I am reading the article by Taylor, and am finding it fascinating! Throw in a bit of history and I'm hooked. I think I'm actually enjoying myself at the moment, which is lovely.

I have seen the acronym AACR2 thrown about a bit, and have not known what is is. I now know it to stand for Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules, 2nd edition (Taylor, 2004, p. 58). I decided to put that here in case I forget what it is and need to know in the future. I almost wrote a note, or put a post it on the wall, but I am not sure how important it will be and realised another aspect of the beauty of blogging - it's here when I need it, but not looking messy, and not in the way if I don't need it anymore. Add to that the easy access by labelling my post and we have another reminder of the wonders of technology and what it means for us in regards to retrieval of information.

Reference:
Taylor, A. (2004). Development of the organization of recorded information in
western civilization. In The organization of information (2nd Ed.) (pp.
49-66). Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment