Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Teaching ourselves

I am all for learning by doing, Being thrown in the deep end to figure out processes the hard way... But this is usually after the learning experience has occurred! Particularly when the concept is such an abstract one and not something you can quickly work out by doing some research. Definitely feeling challenged by this assignment (EER500: Introduction to Educational Research, Assignment 1B).

I have to say though, that venting here is making me remember those assignments I've done in the past where at the time it is frustrating and hard to see the logic of not having more support, but later you realise that it was a very rewarding learning experience. I am also realising that my automatic response is to ask someone for help, when I CAN do some research myself - there will be resources out there that help me to understand the concepts I am struggling with. If there weren't then our lecturer wouldn't have told us to find them. She has given us a starting point, and we are to find more to expand upon and back up what we already have.

Sounds like a familiar concept - something I will do in the future as a teacher librarian perhaps? Support students in the beginning and give them a starting point, but encourage them to use their own skills to extend their research.

Sounds like learning for life. Life long learning. Time to (re)embrace it for myself, not just my students.

Time to remember how little time I have to get this assignment done... better get back on task!

Day 121- Under the Wire! by Jinx!, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License  by  Jinx! 

2 comments:

  1. Just finished mine, although not very confident that I have done what is required even though I have read the information over and over so much that I think I have nearly memorized it.Oh well, here's hoping for a pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished it! Also not overly confident with my finished product, but we shall see. Here's hoping the thought and effort put into it will pay off for both of us Cathy.

    ReplyDelete